Founder and Partner
Attorney Alex Berger is an experienced and dedicated family lawyer in Gillette. A founding partner of Berger & Brown, Alex Berger has helped hundreds of clients through difficult moments in their lives. From divorce to child custody, to protecting assets to death of a loved one, Alex is prepared to offer you the sound legal counsel and exceptional representation you need.
Alex spent his childhood and early adulthood working for his father in title insurance in eastern Iowa. He obtained his J.D. from Indiana University School of Law, graduating magna cum laude and ranking in the top 5% of his class. While in law school, he coached the college policy debate team, was President of the Moot Court Society, and was Executive Production Editor of the Indiana Health Law Review.
After graduating law school, Alex worked as an assistant public defender with the Iowa State Public Defender’s Office in Mason City, Iowa. In 2014, Alex joined RT Cox Law Firm in Gillette, Wyoming as an associate attorney. There, he gained experience representing both individuals and businesses in trial litigation with a focus on oil and gas issues.
In 2016, Alex founded his own law firm. For two years, he focused exclusively on family law under the mentorship of Dwight Hurich, a local family law attorney with 35-years of practice under his belt. The firm has grown to five attorneys. In 2018, Alex was elected Weston County Attorney (although still a Campbell County resident) where he prosecutes crimes, petitions for juvenile intervention, and counsels the county on civil matters. Alex Berger also performs investigative services for the Wyoming Board of Professional Engineers and Professional Land Surveyors and the Wyoming Mental Health Professions Licensing Board regarding complaints against licensed professionals. Even with all on his plate, his highest priority is making sure Berger & Brown provides excellent legal services.
Alex lives in downtown Gillette, Wyoming with his wife and two children. When the weather permits, he enjoys vegetable gardening and hiking with his family. When forced indoors, Alex likes to read history and do home improvement projects. He also serves as the vice-president of the Second Chance Ministries Board of Directors, a faith-based organization that provides services for those getting out of jail and prison in northeastern Wyoming.
Alex is admitted to practice law in Iowa, state and federal courts in Wyoming, and federal court in North Dakota.
- J.D.; Indiana University School of Law, magna cum laude
- B.S. History; Illinois State University, with honors
- B.S. Philosophy; Illinois State University, with honors
- Wyoming State Courts
- Wyoming United States District Court
- North Dakota United States District Court
- Iowa State Courts
- Weston County and Prosecuting Attorney
- Community, Advocacy, Resources, Education (CARE) Board, 2020 – Present
- Weston County Court Security Committee Member, 2019 – Present
- Weston County Public Records Official, 2019 – Present
- Weston County Annex Superintendent, 2019 – Present
- Second Chance Ministries Board; Vice-Chair, 2015 – 2019
- Town of Upton Judge, 2018
- Boys and Girls Club of Campbell County Board; Vice-Chair and City Appointee, 2015 – 2018
- City of Gillette Board of Adjustment; Chairman, 2015 – 2017
- Gillette Area Leadership Institute; Graduate, 2016 – 2015