Attorneys who Know Spousal Support in Wyoming

We Can Help You Seek a Favorable Alimony Arrangement

Wyoming family laws provide for spousal support, or alimony, in the event of a divorce. But it is rarely awarded.  Spousal support can be requested by either spouse, so long as he or she is in a less favorable position to support him or herself after the divorce. The spouse that provided more support during the marriage will likely be required to provide more support after the marriage has ended. Whether you are seeking spousal support or believe that your spouse has requested an unfair alimony from you, our Gillette spousal support attorneys at 307 Law Office are here to help.

Contact our office at (307) 257-6368 to set up a free initial consultation with our attorneys.

How Spousal Support is Determined in Wyoming

In the state of Wyoming, spousal support can be requested as soon as the divorce process has begun. Temporary alimony may be granted until a final court order is secured, and a spouse can even request support to help with the cost of the divorce, regardless of whether or not they were the one who asked for the divorce. Because Wyoming is a no-fault divorce state, alimony cannot be requested or denied based on fault. For instance, if one spouse cheated on the other, this cannot be used as a reason to grant or deny alimony.

Alimony is not based on gender—either spouse may request support from the other—but on earning capacity, income, and assets. When making a ruling on spousal support, the court may consider:

  • Total income of both spouses
  • Earning ability of both spouses
  • Needs of the requesting spouse
  • Ability of a spouse to pay
  • Existence of rental properties
  • Income investments

Generally speaking, it is up to the court’s discretion how much spousal support will be ordered, as long as the payment is fair and reasonable. Once alimony is awarded, the amount and duration can be challenged by either the paying spouse or the requesting spouse.

Modifications to Your Spousal Support

The paying spouse may not cease making alimony payments without permission from the court unless the receiving spouse has died. If there is a substantial change of circumstance, such as a marriage (recipient spouse) or the loss of a job, then a petition for a modification of the current alimony must be filed. Even if alimony was voluntarily agreed upon in the divorce, it cannot be voluntarily stopped.

Trust 307 Law Office with Your Situation

Whether you are seeking spousal support, or are challenging the amount or duration of alimony that has been requested of you, you can rely on 307 Law Office for the skilled legal assistance you need. Our Gillette spousal support attorneys offer the compassionate guidance you deserve during the often emotional and distressing process of requesting or challenging spousal support. As a part-time Deputy County and Prosecuting Attorney for Weston County, Michael Stulken has the litigation experience needed to tirelessly advocate for your rights throughout the process.

Call 307 Law Office at (307) 257-6368 today for a free, confidential review of your case.